An international jury selects the World Press Photo of the Year and the World Press Photo Story of the Year and gives first, second, and third prizes in all categories in the World Press Photo Contest.
The World Press Photo of the Year honors the photographer whose visual creativity and skills made a picture that captures or represents an event or issue of great journalistic importance in that year. It has come to be regarded as the most prestigious international award for photojournalism in the world.
The World Press Photo Story of the Year award honors the photographer whose visual creativity and skills produced a story with excellent editing and sequencing that captures or represents an event or issue of great journalistic importance that year.
The World Press Photo Contest recognizes the best visual journalism and awards visual stories in eight categories: Contemporary Issues; Environment; General News; Long-Term Projects; Nature; Portraits; Sports; and Spot News.
- Inclusion in the World Press Photo year-long exhibition
- Inclusion in the annual collectible yearbook, available in multiple languages with a worldwide distribution of more than 30,000
- Invitation, return airfare, and hotel accommodation for the annual networking event, the World Press Photo Festival.
- A diploma and Golden Eye Award, presented at the annual Awards Ceremony during the World Press Photo Festival.
- Feature in major publications and invited to speak at public events, exhibition openings, and lectures throughout the year.
- The word press contest is only open to professional photographers. Every entrant needs to provide a valid document that proves their current professional status.
- Team entries of two or more photographers are allowed. Per team member proof of professional status must be provided.
- The photographer(s) must be the author(s) of the pictures submitted in his/her/their name.
- 2 December 2019: 2020 Photo Contest opens for entries
- 9 January 2020: Registration deadline
- 14 January 2020: Submission deadline
- 16 April 2020: Nominees are invited to the Awards Show in Amsterdam
- 17-18 April 2020: Nominees are invited to attend the World Press Photo Festival in Amsterdam
Eligible Regions: Open for all
Application Deadline: January 09, 2020