June 14, 2015: A south Korean man is being tested by a hospital in Slovakia for the potentially deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers).
It would be the first case in Europe since an outbreak in South Korea began, in-case it is confirmed.The man in Slovakia reportedly works for a subcontractor of South Korean car maker Kia.Total about 145 cases have been reported till now by the authorities where 14 people are known to have died.
large and complex outbreak has been warned by the World Health Organization (WHO) with further cases expected.
The man is said to be in a stable condition, and tests should determine if he has the virus within a day.All of the cases have been linked to health facilities.
According to WHO, overcrowding and South Korea’s habit of “doctor shopping” visiting multiple facilities for the same complaint may have contributed to the outbreak.The outbreak began when a businessman returning from the Middle East last month was diagnosed with the disease.
The disease was first identified in humans in 2012 and the outbreak is the largest outside Saudi Arabia. But despite the organisation’s warnings, it says there is no evidence of Mers spreading wider in the community.