Kathmandu Living Labs (KLL) has opened a digital internship opportunity for the outstanding students and recent graduates. The internship program will develop digital skills and help the interns prepare for (digital) leadership positions. The interns will be a part of KLL’s flagship program – Map for Everyone.
The pool of interns will receive rigorous training on a wide range of digital tools with particular emphasis on OpenStreetMap (OSM). In addition, they will also receive mentorship on career and leadership development from a group of national and international experts.
The interns will have the flexibility of working from their home or other places they prefer with occasional fieldwork and scheduled meet-ups at KLL. However, the interns need to be physically present during the first week of the internship for orientation and training. The mentors will keep in touch and follow the work online at other times.
Internship duration: 2 months (minimum)
What do you do as a digital intern?
You will contribute to expand a free, editable, digital map of Nepal using OpenStreetMap. Your tasks may include, but will not be limited to:
• Creating digital maps of roads, trails, houses, temples, schools and what not!
• Going out on field to collect map data.
• Validating and correcting mapping done by other fellow mappers.
• Meeting face to face with your mentors and fellow mappers periodically, and discussing progress – all while having fun!
Why would you want to map? What’s in it for you?
It’s not just mapping. It’s much more than that. As a Digital Intern you will:
• Learn the culture of virtual office.
• Expand your professional network by meeting/working with other interns and experts from around the globe.
• Gain access to one of the largest online communities of over 3.5 million people.
• Broaden your world-view in the fields of civic engagement, governance, sustainable development, etc.
• Improve your chances of being an OSM Ambassador.
• Add digital skills to your skill-set.
• Earn certificates and personal recommendations for your contribution to Nepal’s digital movement.
So do you have it in you?
KLL is looking for the motivated individuals who:
• Can commit at least two months.
• Have access to a laptop or a desktop and an internet connection.
• Have passion to learn.
• Previous volunteering/internship/job experiences in any institution or firm.
• Perusing +2 level or higher.
• A general understanding of contemporary issues.