Volunteers Initiative Nepal (VIN) is an NGO with the mission to empower marginalized communities through inclusive and holistic development programs. This is done through the following project areas:
- Health and Environment
- Basic Infrastructure
Within the above project areas, conducting the following programs:
- Women’s Empowerment
- Children’s Development
- Youth Empowerment
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Environment and Conservation
- Public Health and Medical Care
This work camp focuses on Child Development. The Children’s Development Programme aims to protect the rights of all children by providing them access to education, life skills, health, and hygiene. This is done through Children’s Clubs, Early Child Development Programmes, School Attendance Services, and Child Care.
Even nowadays, schools focus very much on literacy and theoretical learning. At home, parents have very busy work schedules and have limited financial resources which means that during school breaks they can’t go on holidays and often need to rely on themselves to fill their time constructively. This leaves little space for exploring creativity and different innovative ways of learning in a structured environment.
We are keen to make a difference in children’s lives and explore their talents. That is why these work camps are essential to provide children aged 5 to 12 years of age with ideas, life skills as well as developmental opportunities in a fun and creative environment.
The main aim of this work camp is to arrange emotionally and socially stimulating activities for children aged 5 to 12 years of age in order to improve their English skills, creative thinking, and personal development.
Location: Nepal (Tarakeshwor and Okharpauwa)
- Food and Accommodation: Nepali Standard at a local host family – 3 meals a day
Airport pick up; transport to and from the work camp
- Materials for the work camp
- Local volunteers’ support cost
- VIN T-shirt
- Certificate of participation
- 24 hours emergency support
- VIN admin cost.
In this work camp, National and International volunteers (with staff guidance) will facilitate different groups and activities, with the main aim to:
- Develop and facilitate unique activities for children aged 5 to 12 years which will support social, emotional, physical and mental wellbeing during their vacation time.
- This will include activities related to sports and exercise, drawing, coloring, painting, arts & crafts, singing, dancing, drama, music, exploring the environment with walks and hiking.
- Promote friendships and solidarity amounts their peers through team building activities.
- Provide an opportunity for the children to understand different cultures by learning about their own one as well as the traditions of local and international volunteers. This can include English language teaching.
There will be one rest day in the middle of your work camp. If you’ve to volunteer at a school, Saturdays will be a rest day also.
Day 1– Arrival Day:
We will pick you up at the airport and bring you to the VIN hostel where you will meet other volunteers who will volunteer at the work camp too.
Day 2- Orientation Day and travel to Work Camp:
We will provide you with an induction which includes cultural tips, useful Nepali phrases, health and safety tips as well as preparations for your project activities. All volunteers will be taken to the work campsite.
Day 3- Work Camp placement starts:
Last day– Report writing and feedback:
On the last day of the work camp volunteers come back to the VIN head office in Kathmandu and you will submit a detailed work report, fill out an exit form and sit with VIN executives for an exit interview and feedback session.
Throughout the work camp, a VIN camp leader will be with you. Supervisors who are usually based in Kathmandu will also be in regular contact (either in person or by phone and email) to make sure you have a positive experience. This is a 24/7 support service we provide to all volunteers so please call us if you need immediate help.
Work Camp Fee:
The participation fee is 200 Euros (+30 Euro for transportation), which is to be paid on arrival at VIN Office.
Eligible Regions: Open for all.