Kathmandu, Nov 18: The family of Shan Prajapati, a student of Sherwood College, Nainital (Uttarakhand), India, who reportedly died of pneumonia last Friday, November 15, has accused the school of utter negligence in his care and demanded an investigation into the case.
The 14â€“year-old Nepali student Shan was a ninth grader at Sherwood College.
In a press conference in the capital today, his mother Neena Shrestha blamed the school’s utter negligence responsible for her son’s untimely death. Shan had been studying in the school, which is among the top ten colleges across India, since 2011.Â Shan’s family has said that they were not informed of his illness on time. The college neither informed us about his sickness nor took him to the hospital on time, complained his mother Neena.
Ailing Shan, initially, was taken to the local Haldwani Hospital and then was rushed to the New Delhi-based Fortis Hospital where he breathed his last while receiving treatment at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Shan’s family was informed about his illness only after he was admitted to the hospital.
The boy’s relative Dr Rajesh Dhwaj GC said although pneumonia and lung infection were said to be the causes of his death, these health problems generally do not cause the death of people in such a short time. He could be saved if he was provided better care, timely medical check-up and treatment, he added.
The victim family plans to meet Prime Minister Sushil Koirala to request him for ordering an investigation into Shan’s death.Â There are around 500 Nepali students in the school. The family and former school students from Nepal today drew an attention of the Indian Embassy in the capital towards the unfortunate incident.