YANGON, 21 November 2015: Â Myanmar’s Union Election Commission released final results of the general election on Friday with the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD) securing 886 seats or 77.04 percent at three levels of the parliament. The NLD garnered 255 seats in the House of Representatives, 135 in the House of Nationalities and 496 in the Region or State Parliament.
Of the 118 seats or 10 percent of the total taken by the ruling Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP), 30 were in the House of Representatives, 12 in the House of Nationalities, and 76 in the Region or State Parliament.
The remaining parliamentary seats mainly go to some ethnic parties and five independent runners.
The Arakan National Party (ANP) remained as the third winner party and Shan National League for Democracy (SNLD) as the fourth.
Of the ethnic parties, the ANP took the lead with 45 and dominated the Rakhine state parliament.
The SNLD was in the second place with 40 in Shan State. Of the 1,150 representatives-elect, 323 are elected to the House of Representatives (Lower House), 168 to the House of Nationalities (Upper House) and 659 to the Region or State Parliament .
Meanwhile, as NLD won an absolute majority or over 50 percent of the total in the Union Parliament, the party enjoys the right to form a new government independently under the constitution.
As the majority party, the NLD will hold the chairmanship of both the lower and upper houses and will be able to nominate two vice presidential candidates.
The elected parliament representatives represent 75 percent at each level of the parliament and the remaining 25 percent are reserved for non-elected and directly-nominated by the military under the constitution.
The present term of the government will expire at the end of March 2016.