Nobrow is well-known for visual publishing and they are dedicated to designing and producing beautiful books. This is something they are extremely proud of. At the heart of all, they do storytelling. They believe this is the foundation on which their publishing is built – we love all forms of storytelling, be it visual, lyrical or literary. It is all aimed at transporting a reader to another place and time and keeping them there; transfixed.
That is why they are delighted to announce they are organizing the Nobrow Short Story Competition for writers! Up to twelve winning entries will be published in their short story anthology, and this beautifully illustrated book will celebrate the best short fiction and non-fiction writing.
- An overall winner will receive £2000.
- All selected contributors will receive £150 and two complimentary copies of the book and will be invited to attend events including a launch and readings.
- This competition is open to people of any nationality aged 18 and over. The promoter reserves the right to require proof of identity and age and any other evidence required to prove that the terms of this competition have been fulfilled before awarding any prize. Any failure to supply as requested will disqualify the winner and an alternate winner will be selected.
- By entering the competition each entrant is considered to have executed the Licence Agreement displayed as part of the Terms and Conditions. The Licence Agreement grants the promoter the exclusive right to publish the story in all languages, forms, and media for the full term of copyright. On request, the winner and the runners-up will execute such additional paperwork as the promoter requires in order to confirm the terms of the Licence Agreement. On completion of the awarding of the prizes, the Licence Agreement shall be null and void in respect of every entrant other than the winner and the runners-up.
- The competition will be judged by a panel appointed by the promoter (which will include at least one independent member and at least one editor employed by the promoter) and the panel will choose up to twelve of the best stories. The winner will be the author of the story judged by the panel to be the best of those stories.
- The winner will receive £2,000 within 30 days of contact with the winner and any necessary proof being established by the promoter (see items 1 and 2).
- Each of up to eleven runners-up will receive £150 within 30 days of contact with that runner-up and any necessary proof being established by the promoter (see items 1 and 2).
- The promoter reserves the right to publish the story submitted by the winner and each of the eleven runners-up in an anthology to celebrate the 2021 launch of the promoter’s black and white fiction list.
- Completed entries must be received by midnight (UK time) on 9th December 2019. Regretfully, we cannot be held liable for system failures relating to the delivery systems for the competition, including the website and any other electronic delivery method.
- The winner and up to eleven runners-up will be notified by email by midnight (UK time), 4th February 2020. If contact cannot be made by that date or the prize is declined within two weeks of the notification being made, the prize will be forfeited. In this instance, the writer of the next best story will be contacted.
- The promoter reserves the right to display the names of the winner and the runners-up in promotional material and on the promoter’s website. The winner and the runners-up may be asked to participate in reasonable publicity for the promoter’s activities.
- The decision of the promoter’s panel is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- For the name of the winner and the runners-up and/or the full names of the panel, send an S.A.E. marked The Censor Competition to Nobrow Limited, 27 Westgate Street, London E8 3RL, at least two weeks after the notification date specified in item 8.
- This competition is closed to employees of the promoter, Nobrow Limited, any agent or company associated with the foregoing (including Flying Eye and Minilab), anyone else connected with the promotion and to members of their immediate family.
- No purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- Entrants can submit only one entry each. Entries must not be submitted through agents or third parties.
- The promoter reserves the right to (a) award an alternative prize of equal or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to vary, amend or withdraw this competition on reasonable notice.
- No alternative will be offered to the prize.
- No responsibility will be taken for entries that are damaged, illegible, incomplete, lost or otherwise fail to reach the Promoter by the closing date. Entries will not be returned to entrants. Entries that are incomplete, illegible or fraudulent will be deemed invalid. No responsibility will be accepted for entries lost, corrupted or delayed in transmission. Any entry which the judges believe will cause offense is inappropriate for the audience or may contain unlawful material (including any that breaches copyright) shall be disqualified.
- Except as specified, the promoter will only use entrants’ personal information in connection with this competition.
- It is a condition of entry that all entrants agree to be bound by these rules and are asked to retain a copy of these rules for any future reference. Entry into this competition constitutes acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
Eligible Regions: Open For All
Application Deadline: December 2, 2019
Official Link: https://nobrow.net/competition/