Paris 24 November 2015: French police are examining what appears to be a suicide bomb belt dumped on a Paris street following attacks that killed 130 people.It is said to resemble belts used by the attackers and was found in a suburb which a suspect is thought to have passed through after the attacks.The US has issued a worldwide travel alert in response to the attacks.
The Belgian capital Brussels remains on high alert. Schools and the metro will stay closed on Tuesday.They are due to reopen on Wednesday but the highest alert level will continue for at least another week.Authorities fear attacks like those in Paris on 13 November may be carried out in Brussels, where at least one Paris attacker lived. Prime Minister Charles Michel warned that the threat remained “imminent”.
French President Francois Hollande is due to meet US President Barack Obama on Tuesday as he continues a busy week of international diplomacy during which he will meet all other permanent members of the UN Security Council.
The suspected explosives belt was found in a dustbin on Monday by street cleaners in the Montrouge district, police say.Police sources told news agencies it resembled those used in the 13 November attacks. According to AFP news agency, the device lacks a detonator.It is one of two key pieces of evidence discovered by French police and publicly linked to Salah Abdeslam, one of the main suspects.His brother Brahim blew himself up during the attacks.
A mobile phone was previously found in an abandoned car he rented. Phone data suggest that on the night of the attacks, Salah Abdeslam was in the area where the belt was later found.Â It may be that he planned to detonate the bomb belt but abandoned the plan – either because the belt was malfunctioning or, as his brother Mohamed has suggested, because he had a last-minute change of heart.