The Ocean Innovation Challenge (OIC) is a unique new mechanism that has been designed to accelerate progress on SDG14 by the identifying, financing, advising and mentoring of truly innovative, entrepreneurial and creative approaches to the ocean and coastal restoration and protection that sustains livelihoods and advances the ’blue economy’. The OIC seeks innovations that are transferable, replicable and scalable to achieve maximum catalytic impact.
The goal of the OIC is to accelerate progress on SDG14 by catalyzing replicable and scalable innovations – including technical, policy, economic and financial – that can be sustained and contribute directly to the delivery of one or more SDG14 targets. “Innovation” here can include both truly new approaches or the transferor adaptation of existing proven approaches to new contexts and/or locales.
- Concepts passing initial review and meeting OIC criteria will be invited to submit full proposals for further internal and external (“peer”) review and consideration.
- Grants range from 50,000 USD to 250,000 USD and project time frames can range from one to two years.
- Proposals can be submitted by:
- Private entities (including start-ups)
- Academic institutions
- United Nations and other intergovernmental organizations
- Project proposals must be implemented in and benefit stakeholders in developing countries but may be submitted by applicants in either developing or developed countries.
- All proposals should include a special focus on ensuring gender equity, livelihoods of the poor and poverty eradication.
Eligible Regions: Open for all
Application Deadline: March 05, 2020
Official Link: http://oceaninnovationchallenge.org/