The visual arts, and in particular photography, are increasingly being used by today’s youth as a powerful tool for communication and self-expression. As such, they have the potential to play a significant role in raising awareness of the key issues facing our contemporary globalizing world. The annual Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads International Photo Contest offers an exciting opportunity for young people from all over the world to capture their understanding of the common heritage of the Silk Roads through the lens of their camera.
Organized within the framework of the UNESCO Silk Roads Programme, UNESCO Youth Programme and the International Decade for the Rapprochement of Cultures (2013-2022), the 2019 edition of the contest is open for entries from 19 September 2019 to 6 January 2020.
The Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads Photo contest is an opportunity for young people living or traveling within these regions to share their perceptions and further their understanding of the common cultural heritage and pluralistic identities emerging from the interactions and exchanges taking place along the Silk Roads. The contest encourages the use of photography to extend these cultural interactions and encounters in the contemporary world, to foster mutual understanding and promote peace amongst the diverse populations encompassed by the Silk Roads.
- 1st Award: A professional digital single-lens reflex camera equipped with 18-55mm lens
- 2nd Award: Semi-professional digital camera
- 3rd Award: Digital camera
- Also, winners will receive an all-expenses-paid trip to the award ceremony. Those under 17 years of age may be accompanied by one family member, courtesy of UNESCO.
- A traveling exhibition of around fifty photos that best represent the spirit of the contest will be exhibited in various places around the world.
- To commemorate the occasion, these exceptional photographs will ultimately appear in a professionally bound photo album.
- Participation in the photography contest is free of charge. The organizer is not responsible for any expenses that the participants may be incurred in the creation and submission of the photograph.
- The photography contest is open to everyone between 14 and 25 years old, regardless of his or her country of residence, except employees of UNESCO and the donor, China World Peace Foundation, and their family members (parents, children, siblings and spouses).
- Minors must provide written permission from their legal guardian(s).
- No minors’ participation will be accepted by the Organization without their written permission.
- Entrants must have access to the Internet.
- Participation is strictly personal and the entrant cannot enter the contest on behalf of another person.
- Participation in the photography contest implies full acceptance of these rules and all of their provisions. Non-compliance with the rules will result in disqualification of the entrant.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
Application Deadline: January 6, 2020
Official Link: https://unescosilkroadphotocontest.org/