Home Sports West Indies pulls out of tour of India

West Indies pulls out of tour of India

275
0

NEW DELHI, Oct 17: West Indies is quitting its tour of India after the fourth one-day international on Friday because of a pay dispute at home with its national cricket board and players´ union.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India said it was shocked by the decision of its West Indies counterpart.

“The WICB´s inability to resolve internal issues with its players and allowing the same to affect an ongoing bilateral series does not reflect well on any of those involved,” the BCCI said in a statement.

The BCCI added it made “several appeals to the WICB to honor its commitment and complete the series.”

West Indies almost didn´t play the first ODI last week because of the pay dispute, and warned its players union that it might pull out of the tour. The lack of agreement boiled over when team manager Richie Richardson informed BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel of the team´s decision by email early Friday, just before the fourth ODI began in Dharmasala. The West Indians apparently reluctantly agreed to play the match.

West Indies will abandon the tour at the halfway point, with one more ODI scheduled, a one-off Twenty20 and three tests.

“We will pursue the ICC to ensure that its interests and those of the game at large will not suffer any damage due to such acts of indiscretion,” the BCCI said.

India will replace the abandoned matches with five one-day internationals against Sri Lanka next month, ESPNcricinfo.com said.

The dispute stems from a memorandum of understanding and a collective bargaining agreement signed last month between the WICB and West Indies Players Association.

West Indies captain Dwayne Bravo, as the team representative, said WIPA president Wavell Hinds signed without the team´s knowledge and consent. Bravo sought answers from Hinds, but even after Hinds responded, Bravo demanded Hinds resign from his positions, and asked the board not to communicate with WIPA until a solution was found.

But WICB president Dave Cameron said he will keep communicating with Hinds, and will adhere to the MoU signed in September.

Source : My Republica

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.