Pushpa Basnet, CNN Hero of the Year 2012, has been shortlisted for CNN SuperHero along with four Previous CNN Heroes of the Year.
Over the past decade, CNN Heroes has recognized hundreds of remarkable individuals who have worked tirelessly to make the world a better place.
Now, to celebrate 10 years of the campaign, CNN is catching up with five past CNN Heroes of the Year to see where they are now and how their work has evolved in the years since they were honored.
All five previous Heroes of the Year will also be attending this yearâ€™s gala, and each will be separately prized $10,000 by CNN to their designated non-profit organization.
Voting began onÂ December 9, 2016 (10:00p.m. ET) and continues untilÂ December 11, 2016Â during the live global telecast ofÂ CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute.
Voting will closeÂ at or around 9:30p.m. ET,Â as announced during the Tribute Show. The 10th Anniversary CNN SuperHero will be revealed during the live show.
The Hero of the Year who receives the most votes will be awarded $50,000 to continue their work, with the CNN SuperHero announced live during Sunday night’s show.
The power to make Basnet a CNN SuperHero lies on you!
To vote, go to: http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/vote/
There areÂ four ways to vote,Â all through the voting page:
Email address and/or Facebook ID
- Click VOTE for your selected Hero, CONFIRM VOTE (check that you’ve read and accept the Voting Disclosures), then choose either your email address or Facebook ID (you will be prompted to enter your email address or log in to Facebook if you’re not).
- You may VOTE AGAIN up to 5 times a day!
To vote usingÂ bothÂ an email address and Facebook, LOG OUT (upper right), then repeat the process, using the other method. You will receive a message when you reach the maximum votes for the day.
- Click the ‘Message Us’ button.
- You’ll see a carousel. Scroll to the photo of your hero. Click ‘Vote for <name>.’
- You may repeat the process up to a maximum of 5 votes.
- Click ‘Vote on Twitter. Enter your CNN Hero’s name, be sure the message includes the hashtag #CNNSUPERHERO, then tweet it. That’s the only way your tweet will count as a vote.
- To vote again: Twitter does not permit the identical message to be tweeted more than once a day. Slightly revise your message (as simple as adding an exclamation mark) or be creative and write something new!
NOTE: You will not receive a maximum vote message after 5 tweets. Any additional tweets will not be counted that day.
AFTER YOU VOTE, DON’T FORGET TO SHARE IT!
You can share your vote on both Facebook and Twitter. Remember to include the Hero’s name, the voting page URL (CNN.com/heroesvote) and, when voting on Twitter, the hashtag #CNNSUPERHERO
Basnet founded theÂ Early Childhood Development Center, or ECDC, in Kathmandu. It provides housing, education, medical services and healthy meals to children forced to live inside Nepal’s prisons with their parents, often in dire conditions.
With the money she was awarded as theÂ 2012 CNN Hero of the Year, Basnet was able to reduce the number of children living in prisons, offer scholarships and purchase land to build a new “butterfly home,” as she calls the safe haven run by the ECDC.
Then, in 2015, the unthinkable happened — just as her new “butterfly home” was nearing completion, aÂ 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck Nepal, nearly destroying the entire structure. Despite the setback, Basnet and the ECDC have soldiered on. A German charity stepped in and provided the money needed to rebuild the house, and on February 3, 2016, Basnet and her children moved in. Today, the ECDC is stronger than ever and plans to help even more children.