The UN Global Compact offers internship opportunities in its New York office. The UN Global Compact aims to make the UN Global Compact and its principles part of business strategy and operations everywhere. Another objective is to facilitate cooperation among key stakeholders by promoting and other collective action in support of UN goals.
As an intern of UN Global Compact, depending on their level of experience and training, you have be perform these activities:
- Conduct research relating to the topic of corporate sustainability, especially on human rights, labor, the environment and anti-corruption;
- Draft and edit publications, papers and other documents;
- Liaise with Global Compact stakeholders on key corporate sustainability topics;
- Support the organization of meetings and events;
- Assist with outreach activities;
- Handle email and other inquiries;
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned.
Internships with the UN Global Compact are available for a duration of three to six months. The timing of internships is flexible. We encourage candidates to apply for the following sessions:
- Winter:January to March (3 months, with possibility of a 3-month extension thereafter)
- Spring:April to June (3 months, with possibility of a 3-month extension thereafter)
- Summer:July to September (3 months, possibility of 3-month extension thereafter)
- Fall:October to December (3 months, possibility of 3-month extension thereafter)
Please note that internships at UN Headquarters are unpaid. Interns must therefore be able to cover their costs of travel, accommodation, as well as living expenses during the internship period.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program (bachelors or second university degree, or higher) at the time of application and during the internship; or
- Under some circumstances, applicants may have graduated within less than one year to commence a UN internship.
How to Apply
Those interested in pursuing an internship with the UN Global Compact must submit an online application at the https://careers.un.org/lbw/Home.aspx
Scroll down to the bottom of the homepage to the “Search Job Openings” section and select “Internship” under the Category field, and “New York” under the Duty Station field. Click on the Search button. This will lead you to a list of various internship openings. You will need to search for the UN Global Compact internship by Job Opening ID Number.
The Global Compact Internship Job Opening Numbers are:
- JO 116057: internship with the Communications and Events team
- JO 116060: internship with the Outreach and Participant Relations team
- JO 116061: internship with the Program team
- JO 116063: internship with the Chief of Staff team
- JO 116065: internship with the Global Operations team
- JO 118528: internship with the Intergovernmental Relations & Africa team
Candidates are strongly recommended to pay attention to the job opening number to make sure that their applications reach the UN Global Compact Office.
The application deadlines for upcoming sessions are as below:
Fall 2019 (October-December): 28 June – 16 August 2019
Due to the large number of applications received, only accepted interns will be notified a few weeks before the beginning of the session or within 4 weeks after each session’s application deadline.
For further more information, the official link is given below: