The UN-ESCWA Center for Women (ECW) is seeking to have an in-house fulltime intern to provide support to the ECW Team in the implementation and in carrying out its various activities and programs.The Intern for UN ESCWA Internship is expected to assist in the following areas:
- Assist in monitoring developments relating to socio-economic development and women’s advancement in the region.
- Carry out background research on subjects related to gender and women issues and social sciences, and on other ECW’s areas of work.
- Compile and organize information and reference materials on identified areas of research related to the work program of the division from various sources for reports, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
- Carry out a periodic search on new resources of relevance to the work of the division and share these periodically with colleagues.
- Assist in updating, developing and producing the division’s information and resource tools.
- Draft inputs to presentations and research papers.
- Provide administrative and logistic support to the organization of ECW meetings.
- Prepare minutes of meetings.
- Perform other duties as requested.
The duration of an ESCWA internship is normally two months on a full-time basis – this may be exceptionally extended for a maximum period of six months. It is awarded on the recommendation of the Director of the respective Division. Interns are not paid and are responsible for all expenses related to the internship.
ESCWA accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship. Therefore, upon awarding an internship, candidates will be required to sign a statement confirming their understanding and acceptance of the conditions of service.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.This internship is located within the ESCWA Centre for Women (ECW) of the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA). The intern will be working under the direct supervision of the Director of ECW.
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Computer literate in standard software applications;
- Demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Applicants should have an educational background in social sciences such as law, international relations, political science, Gender and Women Studies, and sociology
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Arabic is also a working language of ESCWA. Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Knowledge of Arabic and/or French is desirable.
Eligible Regions: Open for all
Application Deadline: December 31, 2019
Official Link: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=111808