Home International Nestle: Worth More Than $50 Million Maggi Noodles Will Be Destroyed

Nestle: Worth More Than $50 Million Maggi Noodles Will Be Destroyed

274
0

June 16, 2015: Worth more than $50m (£32m) Maggi noodles will be destroyed following a ban imposed by India’s food safety regulator, Nestle says.

The instant noodles are found unsafe and hazardous after the test and has accused Nestle of failing to comply with food safety laws, India’s food safety regulator says.The instant noodles arrived in India in 1983 and can be found in corner shops across the country. Nestle has 80% of India’s instant noodles market.

BUt the company insists that the noodles are safe and is challenging the ban. Value of withdrawn noodles include stocks taken off the shelves and stocks stored in factories and with distributors, the company said in a statement. The company is challenging the ban in the high court in the city of Mumbai and “raised issues of interpretation” of India’s food safety laws.

After the regulators said they found higher-than-allowed levels of lead in some packets Nestle began withdrawing the Maggi brand from stores earlier this month. Similarly, Nestle said that there will be additional costs to take into account, for example bringing stock from the market, transporting the stock to the destruction points, destruction cost etc and final figure will have to be confirmed at a later date.

Nestle’s global chief executive Paul Bulcke has asked to see the results of the laboratory tests and promised to return Maggi to store shelves soon. Likewise, several states have also been testing the noodles for the chemical monosodium glutamate, widely known as MSG.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.